(317) 898-4833

(317) 898-4834

Recent Blog Posts

February 2020 - Dental

January 2020 - Jill

December 2019

November 2019 - Diabetes

Post Pet Hospital - Pet of the Month

Nova - July 2017

Posted 11:36 AM by

Nova - June Pet of the Month



Nova is an 11 week old kitten that presented to Post Pet Hospital on June 20th after being found under the hood of a car with a mouth injury and runny eyes. She was still able to drink well and the finders were feeding her kitten formula. We estimated her to be about 6 weeks old at her first visit. Due to being found in a vehicle, she was covered in motor oil. We scanned her for a microchip and none was found. Dr. Grosser determined Nova had an injury called a lip avulsion and needed surgery. A lip avulsion occurs when most or all of the lower lip and ventral mandibular skin becomes detached from the mandible. In Nova’s case, only the right side of her lower lip was affected.

We anesthetized her and began to flush the mouth to get rid of any dead tissue and infection. Dr. Grosser then began the task of suturing the lip to the mandible.  While she was under anesthesia, we noticed that she had some dirty ears. When Dr. Grosser looked in the ears, he could see little moving white dots also known as ear mites. We flushed her ears and sent home Revolution, a topical solution that goes systemically and treats fleas and ear mites in cats for 30 days. We gave her a bath in BPO3 shampoo, an antibacterial and degreasing formula.

Once awake, Nova was able to go home on antibiotics, pain medication and eye drops. The next day, we called to check on Nova and her new owner reported that she was doing much better and was a lot more active.

A couple weeks later, we saw Nova again to recheck her mouth and noticed at that time that she had a wound on the left side of her face. Dr. Grosser explored the wound under anesthesia looking for a foreign body or cuterebra. A cuterebra is an insect that enters the body in a larval state through ingestion, nasal passages or an open wound and grows into a fly. Neither was found so we placed a staple to help with wound closure and gave her an antibiotic injection that would last 2 weeks. We also vaccinated and dewormed her. A week later, we removed the staple and noted that it had healed well. She will continue to come back to the clinic a couple more times to complete her kitten vaccination series.